As the name implies Static IP addresses are the same every time you connect. Dynamic IP addresses may change each time you connect to the Internet. Dynamic IP addresses are the normal customer access method used by most ISPs or Service Providers. When using dynamic IP addresses, even if you are permanently connected (always-on) some ISPs/Service Providers change dynamic IP addresses every 24 hours, others change less frequently (monthly or even longer in certain cases). Our policy is to use Static Private address assignments unless a public IP address is requested (for a fee).
Note: Even if, by observation, a dynamic IP address does not change frequently it still can at any time solely at the discretion of your ISP. For example, a change of network policy or installation of new equipment. You do not control the IP address change policy, your ISP/Service Provider does.
When you do NOT need static IP addresses
If you ONLY do things from the following list you do not need a public static IP address.
- If you browse the Internet.
- If you send and receive e-mail via an offsite mail server or service (the normal method and typically using your ISP's mail server(s) or a mail service such as gmail, hotmail, yahoo mail etc.).
- If you download or upload files.
- If you use Instant message services or chat services.
- If you run any services, such as web or FTP servers, that ONLY require access from your local area network (single site) and that DO NOT require or ALLOW access from the Internet.
When you need Static IP Addresses
You need one or more Public Static IP addresses if any of the following are true:
- You run one or more Web server's directly on your site that require external access (from the Internet or an Extranet).
- You run one or more E-mail server's directly on your site that require external access (from the Internet or an Extranet).
- You run one or more FTP server's directly on your site that require external access (from the Internet or an Extranet)
- You run one or more DNS server's directly on your site that require external access (from the Internet or an Extranet).
- You run any other service or 'Application' that requires external access (from the Internet or an Extranet). Some Financial Terminal Client and other licensed applications require that you have a static IP address for licensing purposes.
- Remote VPN Access or hosting VPN Sessions
- You require or allow 'incoming' Video or Audio services. In this case you may need to use static IP addresses. As an example, if you run an on-site IP-PBX you will typically need one or more static IP address(es). However, in some cases audio and/or video client applications (including some IP-PBXs) will require you to connect, or register, with an external server which will forward incoming traffic. When using these types of clients/applications you do not need a static IP address. Verify the details with the client/application supplier.
Note: Running servers that are accessed by the public are prohibited by most of our account types unless otherwise approved. A Wholesale or Syncronous account is required to operate public servers on our network.
We do offer Public Static IP addresses. If you would like to add one or more of these addresses to your account please give us a call or submit a support ticket request. We also will need justification for the Public Static IP address in order to allocate address space to your account.
Powered by WHMCompleteSolution